Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Naughty Corner

Ry has been getting more mischevious lately and trying to assert his independence more too. Like when I told him not to go to the kitchen or get out of the kitchen, he would refuse to follow my instructions. Unlike in the past, he would not step into the kitchen. The only person he is scared of / listen to now is his daddy. If his daddy is home, he would not step into the kitchen or bathroom because daddy has a louder voice and fiercer than me.

Also, Ry likes to throw his tantrum more whenever I refuse to give in to him. So I decided to start the time-out system. I've dedicated a naughty corner for him. So now, whenever he is naughty, I would say, "You naughty boy, go to your naughty corner now."

The first time-out, I had to drag him and carry him there while he stood there crying for a whole 3 minutes. The second time-out happened yesterday morning. He went to ransack my bagpack and took out a pack of tissue papers and shredded every paper in it while I was in the bathroom. So when I came out of the bathroom, I gave him a stern look and told him the to go to the naughty corner using the line above.

I expected him to stay put but to my surprise, he actually stood up and move closer to the naughty corner. Although reluctantly and crying while doing so, he actually stood in front of the corner, waiting for me to see whether I will pardon him. I told him no and made him stand with his back on the wall, crying for a whole 5 minutes before I hugged him and explained to him his mistake.




Bawling at the top of his lungs at his naughty corner.

What is surprising to me is how Ry managed to pick up the time-out system so quickly. I'm always amazed by how quickly a 18 mth old learns. This really keeps me on my toes not to display any bad habits to him so that he would not pick up those. As a teacher, I just have to be mindful of my behaviour but as a parent, I find that I have to be on model behaviour every minute :)

No comments: