Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Friday, September 12, 2008

Life back in Cambridge!

Many friends have asked me whether I have a blog so that they can read about my life in the US but I've been too busy in the past year, juggling studies, motherhood and duties as a wife of a busy researcher to make time for keeping a blog. Finally, I've decided to start writing something although I've signed up for this blogsite 1 mth ago. I'll just start with what I felt and something that I did in my 1.5 wks back in Cambridge.

First, the past 1.5 weeks have passed though not as fast as I wished, probably because I am still nostalgic of the wonderful a 3 wk stay back at home with my beloved family members after being a year away with them and without my studies that I can focus my attention on. I find the time has been passing pretty slowly and everyday, I have been trying to think of ways to occupy my 18 mth old boy, Ry, who's having "withdrawal symptoms" from the attention and love he has enjoyed during the 3 wk stay.

It is sometimes heartbreaking for me to see him lying on the floor looking so bored and especially after I asked him, where is "gor gor" - his 7 yr old cousin, he'll suddenly scrambled up and start searching for him in the rooms, definitely a fruitless attempt. Recently, he even gave up searching when I asked him the same question and he just threw up his hands in a "I dunno" fashion. I finally agree with the old saying " It takes a whole village to raise a child", which in the past year, I've always denied it and said that all Ry needs is his parents' attention and love. This trip back home had made me realised that a growing 18 mth old also craves for company, which sadly me and K could not reproduce in our little humble 2 bedrm apt.

Enough of the whining though, I have also accomplished quite a bit within this short time back home. We have gotten a car - a 8 yr old Hyundai Sonata and so I have been driving around Cambridge and Allston to do a little grocery shopping on my own with Ry. Initially, I was scared since I was not familiar with left hand drive but the good thing that is driving in US is that drivers are more tolerant and they don't honk at u that easily, unlike back home. The other fortunate thing is that Ry gets used to sitting back alone at the car seat pretty easily, without any fuss, which therefore provides less distraction for me. It is a blessing that Ry has always been a good boy who seldom makes any fuss when we are out, which sometimes provides a problem for us as we used to miss his feeding times in the past as he never cry for his bottle. Will try to update more once I've figured out how to get my pics from my camera into this old laptop that I'm using now - dun want to crash this laptop since it has a low memory space.

No comments: