Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Passing on the legacy!

I just had a gathering with my ex-students from the 2004 batch yesterday at Raffles City and looking at the 6 girls all dressed up in pretty frocks coming to the restaurant from their work, I suddenly feel old and so so yesterday......

It is not easy for a class to remain connected after leaving the college for 5 years when some of the students have even gone for overseas education, come back and boys going through the National Service. It has been a heartwarming evening to see at least half of my class sitting together at the little round table, having Jap food, chatting and catching up with each other. I think this must be the power of the Facebook age where everyone could keep connected with each other. However, the real life connection is still important and I thank C, one of my most memorable students for taking efforts to organise this gathering. Without him, the connection would just be superficial and fleeting, at least for me.

The class gathering also reminded me why I became a teacher and why the love for teaching have never really wavered through the years, despite leaving the job for two years. I remembered a comment made by my colleague yesterday. He said, "sometimes the best and most memorable students to teach will usually be the "naughtiest", "cheekiest" and "rebellious" type." I do not deny the truth of the statement as it is till this day, I can most probably remember the names of my "difficult" students but I guessed the reality is that the memories resided so deeply because as educators, we believe we have made probably made a little change in these students' lifes. I believe when K is reading this, he'll probably say that I am narcissitic :)

I am happy that all of my ex-students are doing great in their lifes now and are holding good and meaningful jobs. I even have 2 ex-students from 04S64 who have joined my profession to become a Chemistry teacher. I am definitely happy that I managed to pass on my legacy through them besides the genetic part through my dear boys. I wish these two girls all the best in their first year of teaching and hopefully, they will derive as much joy from teaching Chemistry as me.

And, a big thank you to 04S64 for the class gathering yesterday, it really reminded me why I was a teacher and will be a teacher, especially during this time, when I almost lost faith in our education system after the tiring and draining meetings and the endless drafts of work in my current job in the headquaters.

No comments: