Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving and the afterthoughts

Thursday, Nov, 27 was Thanksgiving holiday by which most Americans reunite with their family members for a sumptuous dinner, usually with roast turkeys and other goodies. However, I seem to feel that thanksgiving this year is touched by a wee sense of melancholy and sadness, especially with the gloomy economic forecast and the tragic news of terrorist attacks in Mumbai. I was saddened by the fact that a fellow Singaporean was a casualty of the mindless and cruel terrorism on the same day.

Despite these, on the same day, I was busy in the kitchen preparing food for a potluck dinner with a fellow SG family. There were roast chicken with garlic and lemon, apple crumble, poached carrots in chicken stock, herbal chicken soup, grilled asparagus and baked corn while my fellow friend, A brought along fried bee hoon and potato croquettes. We did indeed have a good time together in the evening, savouring all the delicacies and letting our little ones play together. Initially, I was pretty worried that Ry will be a little tyrant at home and refuse to share his toys with E. But, I was surprised at how gracious little Ry was as a host. He was willing to share his toys and did not kick up a fuss at all. Probably, it was because daddy was at home the whole afternoon and they already had a great time together, which thus explained Ry's good mood.


Ry and E playing with the toys after the dinner.

The days following Thanksgiving are usually filled with the much anticipation for the year end Christmas and New Year celebration. Back in SG, I was usually not caught up in any of these festive spirits and was usually unaware of the days and events leading up to the finale. However, after being here in US when one is always bombarded with advertisements and news of Christmas shopping plus the warm up effect of Thanksgiving holiday and the crazy Black Friday sale, I definitely feel more immersed in the whole festive season. Also, the cold weather and the possibility of a White Christmas definitely adds to the feel.

Ry's winter suit-up whenever we are outdoor which usually keeps him warm and cosy in the sub zero temperature now, especially after Thanksgiving when we are expecting the snow soon.

In about 2 weeks time, we will be in New York to experience the whole Christmas season and this would be one of my last long haul travels before I have to retreat at home to await the birth of Br. Probably, we would be going to a farm stay in New Hampshire during the New Year period as an alternative to skiing.

As year 2008 coming to a close, it also signifies the new challenges for me in year 2009 with 2 little boisterous boys and the reality and challenges of our whole family moving back to SG. It also signifies the little time left for me to enjoy my life here as a SAHM in US and the time that I can wholeheartedly spend with Ry. As K has been constantly reminding me not to become too comfortable in my life here, the reality has finally sink in for me to make me think that I need to attune my mindset to the coming challenges as a working mum next year around the same time.

No comments: