Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Friday, December 19, 2008

Lessons at My Gym


Since Thanksgiving, the Music Together lesson that Ryan used to attend every week has ended. So to keep him occupied at least one day in the week, I had been researching on activities and indoor playspaces that he can go to. Finally, I decided to enrol him for My Gym. The gymnasium is located in Allston next to the Shaws which I usually go for marketing every week, especially if I need to pick up Chinese veg from the Chinese Supermarket nearby.

The price is around the same as what I paid for Music Together, which averages out to about $23 per lesson. However, My Gym allows the kids to make use of their gymnasium once a week during the Open Gym slots, meaning that it opens up their playspace free for kids who are enrolled in their program. So I have been bringing Ry to Open Gym on Monday afternoon where he played with the equipments there and to the Waddlers Lesson on Friday morning. Thus, I figured out it was worth the trouble and the price that I paid for especially during winter now as he can expend all his energies during the visits instead of cooping up at our little apt.



Ry really looked forward to the time we go to My Gym and he's totally into climbing all over the ramps, trampolines , slides, and tunnels etc. Like this morning, he promptly went to change out of his pyjamas when I told him that we were going to "Gym Gym" later. If not, he usually needs a lot of coaxing to get him to change in the morning, especially if the Disney playhouse is on.
The best thing is that this studio rearranges their equipment and layout every week so that the kids do not get bored with them. Also, I realised that his confidence and his balancing skills improved after attending the lessons for a month. He can now walk in a single file on a narrow ramp and can do simple somersaults with the help of the instructors. In addition, he learned to pick up more words there like he would say "ball" when he threw the balls and learned to follow simple instructions well.


Ry hanging on the trapeze during one of the lessons. He loved it so much that he went to have another turn! Sometimes, they do simple flips on the bar! Hope he doesn't turn out to be a monkey because of the lessons!

In fact, I think he enjoyed My Gym lessons more than the music lessons as there's more varieties in the lesson structure. The instructors change activities every 10 minutes and they do a variety of activities like gymnastics, music, dance, stretching and separation time. The separation time means that the parents and caregivers will leave the kids alone to play with the toys and interact with the instructors and other kids in the studio for around 10 - 15 minutes. So, usually, I will walk out of the playspace and look at Ry from the lobby to see how he interacts with other people. He is pretty independent and has never looked for me, unlike some other kids who will search for their parents. Also, Ry learned to do "Hip hip Hurray" by throwing up both of his hand into the air whenever we say hurray! So cute!

Ry going through the obstacles course all by himself!


Separation time! Ry totally forgets his mummy whenever the toys are out!

No comments: