Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Sunday, December 21, 2008

First Snow Storm 2008

Just about 2 weeks away to a new year 2009, Boston welcomes its first storm of the winter. It had been snowing since Friday afternoon and hasn't stopped since. When I woke up on Friday morning, the first thing I asked K was whether the snow had started as I hate to miss Ry's gym lesson later in the morning. Fortunately, the sky looked bright enough and upon watching the weather news, it was forecasted that the storm will only start around noon. So, I decided to leave the house early to pick up some groceries before I bring Ry to his lesson. And I quickly rushed home after his lesson at 1130 am so that I can beat the snow storm.

The roads were pretty clear and there were many parking spots along the street just outside my apt. I was glad and later then I learned from K that most schools and offices declared half day so that people can stay at home during the snow and avoid travelling, which explained the smooth traffic for me to make it home within 15 minutes instead of the half an hour drive.

As expected, flurries started falling from the sky at 1.30 p.m. and then turned to a heavy blanket of snow by 4 p.m. together with strong winds. By Saturday morning, the storm abated slightly but there's still flurries. K went to shovel snow off the car around lunch time and it took him a whole 40 minutes or so to finish his job. By then, he was drenching in sweat. We still went ahead with our plan to join a group of Singaporeans for a holiday potluck at a friend's place in the evening despite the warning that the storm will pick up again at night.

I was extremely terrified of driving in the snow and had a hard time getting out of the parking lot through the huge piles of snow on the ground. I drove extremely slowly. A 10 minutes drive became a 25 minutes route to LC's house. Fortunately, K was beside me all the time so that boosted my confidence. I wondered how I'm going to drive alone and especially parallel park in the coming days without him giving me directions. At least, we had a nice evening together and had a great dinner with out SG friends. The kids were also having a great time playing with each other too.

The second part of the storm continues today, and now the courtyard of my apt is blanketed with a fresh layer of snow. One of my neighbours actually went out to build a snowman wearing Celtics jersey in the courtyard. Really adorable!


I also went out to snap a few pictures of my snow covered car to remind myself in future while Ry is napping in our warm king sized bed.

No comments: