Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Einstein Syndrome??

After Ry was diagnosed and evaluated to be having speech delay and having the ability of a 17 mth old toddler, it definitely starts getting us worried. However, being an educator myself and many gentle reminders and assurances of the evaluators as well as friends, I definitely am aware that the purpose of the evaluation is for reference and should not be taken overly seriously as Ry is still pretty young to follow all the instructions given by the evaluators who are strangers and as parents, we all know, sometimes kids just march to their own drums. There are so many factors that affect the validity of an evaluation and it is a well-known fact that evaluation done with young children is often a hit and miss thing if it is only done one time, not to mention the fact that the results were normalized, often assuming that all kids follow a general pattern of development. Thanks to Dan for reminding me that the results may be normed against the US population instead of Asian / SG population as well.

Still, as parents, I would like to help Ry to speak sooner and was exploring the Internet for tips and tools to do so. While I was searching on the Amazon for the dvd series " Signing Times" as introduced by my friend here for young children to learn American Sign Language (ASL) which is also often used by speech therapists, I came across this book title "The Einstein Syndrome - Bright Children Who Talk Late" by the Stanford Professor Thomas Sowell. Immediately I was drawn to the title and upon reading the synopsis, I decided to order the book to read. It only took me approximately 3 days to finish reading the book and most of the reading was done while breastfeeding Br.

What was interesting for me is the many similarities that I found between Ry and the different stories of late talking children written in the book. According to the author, children who had the Einstein Syndrome has the following characteristics:
  1. Outstanding and precocious analytical abilities and / or musical abilities
  2. Outstanding memories
  3. Strong wills
  4. Highly selective interests, leading to unusual achievement in some areas and disinterests and ineptness in others
  5. Delayed toilet training
  6. Precocius ability to read and / or use numbers and or/use computers
  7. Close relatives in occupations requiring outstanding analyatical and/or musical abilities
  8. Unusual concentration and absorption in what they are doing
The first striking similarity is definitely characteristic number 7 and most kids in the research study has parents in the engineering / scientific field. So in our case, daddy is a scientist and mummy is a Chemistry teacher and we therefore fit the profile closely. Next, Ry displays quite a few of the characteristics. He definitely has very strong musical sense and this is commented by his previous Music Together instructor, adults who have seen him as well as the Speech Therapist who saw him this morning and marvelled at his ability to stop beating the drums when music stops and able to beat the drums softly when she gently strummed the guitar. Ry is also definitely very strong willed - a comment also made many times by my mother during her short stay with us. In fact, at times, I would say he is extremely stubborn. Also, Ry has an unusual concentration and absorption in what he is doing that he often ignores us when we call for him. In addition, he likes to observe and understands the rules first, often in new situations before he engages in participation, which to me, is often baffling because I often see other kids jump and run straight to the playground or toys. It is also mentioned in the book that many such late talking kids are very good at solving puzzles or are fascinated with locks. Similarly, Ry at the young age of 9 months old when he was barely standing was able to unscrew a bolt and nut underneath our dining table and was able to screw it back on his own. I remembered I was so surprised when he first did this and almost got a heart attack as I was worried that he may have accidentally swallowed the small nut or the table may have collapsed on him if he had gone around unscrewing all of them. In fact, his fascination with nuts and bolts lasted for quite a while and we had to be rather stern with him to stop him from unscrewing them underneath the table. Even now, he would still go around unscrewing things around the house like knobs on the toilet cabinets and then screwing them back on again.

What really connects to me about the book is how the author mentions about parents often ended up blaming themselves for having late talking child especially sometimes after insensitive comments from neighbours, family members, doctors and other adults. I have definitely experienced many of these episodes like some nurses or doctors here suggested that probably his late talking is a result of exposing him to 2 languages at home, my mother suggesting to me that we probably did not expose him to much babbling and language at home during his first year when we were busy, my MIL asking me insensitively why is Ry talking so late since no one at home talks this late and many other more little episodes like these. All these little comments and suggestions have insinuated my failure as a mother and I do find myself dispairing quietly sometimes, and these negative feelings sometimes led me getting angry with Ry when he refused to babble after me or learn a new word.

Instead, the study by Professor Sowell gives me a new perspective why some children are late talking and gives me the hope that Ry's late talking may be the result of an innate syndrome rather than due to external factors and most importantly, he will turn out fine someday. His research shows that the median age for such late talking kids to start talking is at three and a half years old and some of them as late as four. And the good news is that these kids will ultimately start talking without any form of early intervention and they usually grow up to become sociable and successful adults without much problems.

While reading this book and excitedly sharing the information with K, I was repeatedly teased by him saying that does it mean Ry is Einstein or genius? My answer is definitely a big NO since my only reasons for reading this book is to make me more informed about late talking children and I am not out to prove that Ry has superior intelligence. As a mother, my only wish for Ry is for him to grow up to be a happy and healthy child and to guide him in the way he should be.

8 comments:

tjmummy said...

wanted to email you, realised don't have your email... :-)
just want to let you know i've experienced all the comments from family and friends and even strangers too. about ds2's speech ability.

earlier when you posted abt the evaluation i wanted to comment too, to tell you to take that with a pinch of salt. or maybe just not to worry, but i thought maybe you are handling everything in your stride, so i need not butt in.

i think you also know my ds2 spoke very late. before that, only i could understand him, so those near and dear to him (aka grandparents) were not happy to be unable to communicate with him and therefore gave me a lot of grief too. strangers would also ask how come he doesn't talk even though he is so big.

but things straighten out after some time. he talks non-stop now. he started speaking in sentences only after 3. when i read your post on the evaluation, i was thinking in my heart, then surely my ds2 falls under the same category... :-)

kids are all different. we provide the same environment for both kids. ds1 started talking very early. singing songs and so on. ds2 no.

but both of them seem to even out after a certain age. ds2 started reading earlier than ds1 though, and he reads very well now.

so i think Ry will come into his time. he'll shock everyone in future, once he talks!

you need not publish this. i meant to email you privately anyway. and just wanted to tell you that we share the same experiences... and how i can identify with what you have related! surely it was not nice bearing with all those comments!

now another comment i have to bear with is, why are my kids so thin. sigh. that is another long story.

and people tend to make me feel it is my fault for not feeding them well.

Jeanne Renee said...

Thank you for writing about this. I have been seeking answers about my speech-delayed (and potty-training delayed) 3 1/2 year-old who is otherwise almost "scary-smart." Alphabet, numbers, shapes ... and yes, music seems to flow from his pores. Since about 18 months he has had brilliant rhythm and tonal acuity ... along with amazing muscular coordination. However, he seems to have little use for speech (beyond his own jibberish) and has zero interest in the toilet. I thought I was going crazy and that I had failed miserably as a mother. I started googling "speech delay" and came across two phrases: "The Edison Trait," and "The Einstein Syndrome." I'm in the process of reading a book on the first and just ordered the book you've mentioned.
In any case ... just another mom saying, "Hey, I hear ya!" My prayers for you and your fam ...

Anonymous said...

Stumbled across your blog...

My son also fits the Einstein Syndrome profile. when he was born in 1992, there were no resources available. He wasn't talking at 2, 3 or even 4. He was intuitive and I'd worked with autistic individuals and I knew he wasn't autistic. Still, he didn't completely potty train until he was alsmost six.

But what was he? I'm a professor of Communication so I recognized this as the key.

It wasn't until later that I found Sowell's book.

In any case, I'm posting here because my son is now 18 and a senior in high school. He's an honor student, just got his driver's license and he'll be off to college in the fall.

His speech is still a little stilted, but he's explained to me how he thinks: in images that he must translate into words. It's like he was born into a foreign country and even though he's adapted, he will always think and process a bit differently.

But take heart: I'm here to tell you that if you stay in there, advocate for them to the teachers; do supplemental tutoring and make sure the information they need is introduced in a way they can process, it will turn out all right in the end.

Just call me Mom. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Just call me Mom. said...

Just today I heard about Einstein Sydrome while watching Judge Judy. Odd, I know. But once I googled it and read what I could find that was aimed at Down Sydrome I realized my D'S, 4, may have this. He has a speech delay and has always amazed his father and I with how smart he is with puzzles and figuring out of things work and taking them apart. He knew all his letters and numbers at a young age, too.

Our DS has been in preschool for learning disabled children for one year. The teachers there say he may be autistic, but IMO, he is more in the area of Einstien Sydrome. When our DS was in speech therapy our therapist suggested we have his IQ tested, as she too felt he was smarter than a normal two or three year old.

I am wondering how you got the ball rolling with your doctors. I just fear that when we have our son tested for autism this Oct, through preschool, that they will just label his as some type os ASD because it's easy. I don't want him labeled with that, as our ST and OT said it's a hard thing to "shake" once you're given that diagnosis.

Thank you for your time. And thank you for writing this blog.

Edited to add: wasn't aimed towards Down Syndrome*

Jeff P. said...

I don't know if the author or anyone else will read this almost 6 years after the last comment, but here's to hoping they do.
I am interested in your experiences with your children as they grew up past 4, 6 and beyond years, and yes thank you in your kindness for your time.
I am the father of a 3.5-year-old boy, who can now read, write, is extremely musically inclined, but has a vocabulary of less than 10 words, can go potty on command, but will not not go own his own will.
He is extremely affectionate, does not harm himself or others, and has never been a flight risk.
After reading Thomas Sowell's books, I am convinced he is on the so-called "Einstein Syndrome", and DW is convinced he is not autistic.
Again, I would be eternally gratefull for any comments.

Unknown said...

Hi,I am a mom of 4,5 year old boy that was diagnosed with moderate speech delay a year ago. He is extremely affectionate too and never even fights back. He is extreemly good with logical games and puzzles and love numbers (count to 100 I believe) Music is very important part of his life too. I'm very interested to hear more stories about kids like this. How do you work with them? Is there any board where parents meet and tell their stories?

Jeff P. said...

Hi Natalia,

There is a Yahoo! Groups of parents (LateTalkKids) that follow after the studies published by Dr Stephen Camarata, but it has very little movement. I know that some of the conversations have moved on to Facebook, but regretfully don't know the group.
My Son 3.5 is just like yours, still not talking much, but can read and write grade level 2 words, count and write number upwards of 100, and loves music. He is extremely affectionate, and although he sometimes seems aloof, he is very bright. Thomas Sowell's book was a great guide for us.